Your child’s first experience with preschool is always going to be a step into the unknown for them, but it doesn’t have to be for you, especially if you’ve just moved to the US from another country.
- Ages of children catered for
- School/centre hours and holidays
Hours and Holidays:Preschools tend to mimic the regular US schooling year, which means they’ll generally be closed for public holidays, over the summer and other school breaks. School holidays can differ from state to state, so it’s best to check with your state’s Education Department. It’s worth noting that some Preschools will offer “summer camp” (not to be confused with a sleep-over camp), or other extended care options.
- Childcare Aware hotline: (800) 424-2246, to ask questions about your individual situation.
- Great Schools website: Lists preschools along with reviews and star ratings.
- National Association of Family Child Care: A database of accredited preschools.
- Your Community: Don’t be afraid to reach out to your online, church or neighbourhood communities to ask for advice.
What Preschools Want From You